We aim to process electronically lodged tax returns within two weeks. Paper tax returns are processed manually and can take up to 10 weeks (may take up to seven weeks to show on our systems). However, some tax returns may require manual checks and take longer.
On this page:
- Tracking the progress of your return
- The status of your return
- SMS and email communications
- Why your return may be delayed
- Your notice of assessment
- Fix a mistake and amend your tax return
The quickest and easiest way to check the progress of your tax return is by using our online services.
If you have a myGov account linked to the ATO, you can check the progress of your tax returns and amendments, and view your lodgments at any time for:
- the current year
- prior financial years.
If you haven’t got a myGov account, it’s easy to get started.
Once you’ve logged in, from the home page select Manage tax returns, then select the financial year you are checking. The status shows how your tax return is progressing.
Check with your registered tax agent
If you lodged with a registered tax agent, either you or your agent can check the progress of your tax return.
You can still check the progress of your tax return at any time by logging in to our online services via myGov.
Check by phone
Use our self-help service at any time:
- phone 13 28 65 – have your tax file number handy
- choose option 1 and then option 1.
When you check the progress of your tax return using our online services, you might see one of these statuses (not all tax returns will display all of these):
- In progress – Processing
You may see this status at two stages of processing:
- we have received your tax return and we’ve started processing it, or
- we have finalised your tax return and are issuing a notice of assessment (you will see an estimated assessment issue date by clicking the down arrow).
- In progress – Information pending
We are collecting information to help us finish processing your tax return. We will contact you if we need more information.
- In progress – Under review
We are manually reviewing your tax return to make sure everything is right before we finalise it. This may include reviewing your prior-year returns. We will contact you if we need more information.
- In progress – Balancing account
We are balancing the result of your tax return with your accounts with us and other Australian Government agencies, and calculating the amount we will refund or you need to pay. We will contact you if we need more information.
Don’t worry, your tax return has not been lost. We are reviewing your tax return, this may include ensuring you have included all the information that has been reported to us. You should not attempt to lodge your tax return again, as this may cause further delays. We will contact you if we need more information.
- Issued – $ Amount
You’ll be able to see your notice of assessment online, along with the date for payment and if you’re entitled to a refund.
If you provided valid Australian bank account details to us when you lodged, we will pay your refund directly into your nominated account.
We may send you an email or SMS (text message) to let you know:
- if your tax return or refund has been delayed and why
- when your refund is on its way.
Our messages will never ask you to reply by SMS or email to provide personal information, such as your tax file number (TFN).